View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Autoscroll ain't for me: I can't command my brain to understand the text I'm reading at the speed determined by a machine. Page 7 may be more diffficult to understand than page 8; book A easier to comprehend than book B.
It does take some getting used to, but generally it averages out once you find the right average speed for you. Occasionally you do have to adjust the speed, or reposition the text in the screen, but it is much less screen tapping than turning static pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I think what both of us are really waiting for, Sue, is controlling the page flips and/or autoscroll speed with our eyes! Like, wink at Marvin with your right eye, and Marvin flips a page forward! (Or speeds up the autoscroll.) Wink with your left eye, and Marvin flips a page back, or slows down the autoscroll. Wasn't Samsung boasting of already being able to do something like that (detect the user's eye movements) on the newest Galaxy phones?
You bet! And, of course, it would detect when you fall asleep and turn the device off automatically. I quoted a few passages from Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land when I wrote about autoscroll on my blog.
Quote:
“In front of him his morning newspaper…moved past his eyes at his optimum reading speed in a feedback executive scanner, custom-built by Sperry. The words would flow on as long as he looked in that direction; if he turned his head, the machine would note it and stop instantly.”
Seriously, he wrote about this in 1961 and we don't have it yet???
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote