View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #78
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotheman View Post
Well, as I can't manipulate files on the Reader anyway, why not just always sync the newest info from Calibre? Maybe queqe the file for syncing if the reader isn't connected and sync it directly, if it is.

It would make a lot of sense to me, if there was a folder system in Calibre. One could select the folders to sync with the Reader (deletions should also be synced), since some files might just be archived books that don't need to be on the device.

I still don't get why Sony won't allow me to delete files on the Reader. Isn't there some way to make this possible? Would make file management a lot easier.
On a 500 you can't, but on a 505 you can manipulate files on the reader outside calibre. Actually even on a 500, you can use the commandline utilities to manipulate data on the device. I know that for the 500 there was a hack that allowed file deletion. Look for it on these forums.

As for a folder structure, that's what tags are for. Folders are just hierarchical tags, but there isn't sufficient depth of information in a book database to justify hierarchical tags. You can just use the search and the view sorting features to find books you want far more easily than navigating through a folder structure.

Also I dont really see the point of a sync feature. Apart form deleteing, do you really change information about books in the database after the initial import and metadata editing?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote