View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Any idea what causes suddenly slow wifi?

Over the last couple of days I've noticed that WiFi on my Fire has become really slow. My connection speed from the modem to my ISP is clicking along at 18megs, but I couldn't watch a YouTube video without buffering every 15 to 20 seconds.

My first thought was to reboot the modem and the router. When that didn't help I checked the settings on my Fire. Everything seemed fine until I saw the Link Speed was 1 Mbps. My Android phone gets 65 Mbps from the same network so I knew something was wrong.

There don't seem to be very many user accessible network settings, so I resorted to a factory reset. That brought my speed up to 63 Mbps. I thought everything was fine, but when I came upstairs to the computer room (the modem and router are downstairs) I dropped back to 1 Mbps. The phone sitting right next the the Fire is steady at 65 Mbps.

I'm really frustrated. I didn't have any problem anywhere in the house until 3 days ago.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on and if there's a fix?

Edit: I discovered that telling the Fire to forget the connection to my home network and reconnecting restored the speed to 63 Mbps, but I really don't want to have to do that every time I use it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote