View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Moderators moderating discussions they're involved in? (and other mod issues)

Starting this per this request:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
THIS THREAD HAS GONE WAY WAY TOO FAR. PLEASE KEEP IT DOWN.

ANYONE WHO HAS PROBLEMS WITH THE MODERATION OF THIS SITE CAN START A THREAD IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM AND REFER TO ALEXANDER TURCIC.
From the problems in this thread--linked to the last page for the most relevant discussion.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=87244&page=10

My only gripe with the moderation there really is that a moderator who's involved in a debate/argument should not be able to threaten action--it's a conflict of interest.

Most well-moderated forums I've posted on have policies preventing that. If a moderator thinks action is needed in a thread their active in (particularly in a discussion they're actively involved in), they have to refer to another moderator to review and issue any warnings if needed.

It prevents the conflicts of interest, and keeps members from Kenny feeling like they're being abused as such etc. And it's easy to implement.

I'll also add, as I mentioned in that thread, that the moderation on this site needs two other improvements.

1. More consistency. I see some blatant personal attacks get very light warnings, and other times minor bickering get very stern warnings.

2. More teeth in enforcing the rule violations. I've seen people warned multiple times for attacks etc. who never got suspended or banned. The Apple subforum issues a month or so back would be a prime example.

It's improved, but I've given up reporting attacking posts as that incident made it clear that the mods have no teeth, as the people posting out right personal attacks get warned repeatedly with no real action taken. Problem some more stern PM threats of bannings given that particular case has cleared up for a while--but there would have been multiple bannings on other well moderated sites I frequently very early on in that debacle.

Hell, I get a suspension (deserved) for attacking another member, and even attacked the mod afterwards and ASKED to be banned and I'm still here!

On that note, that request still stands. I've had it with this site and I'd like my account banned/closed so I can resist the temptation to keep getting sucked into arguments on here.

Thanks!
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote