View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Price of publisher- vs. self-published ebooks.

Recently one of my favourite authors self-published some of his ebooks for the US market at $2.99 each. The same titles were already being sold by publishers in other countries for $10 or more. One of the titles is actually selling at Amazon US in both versions, the self-published one for $2.99 alongside the publisher-pubished version for $8.89. It made me wonder which version the author would actually earn more money from.

This article http://blog.smashwords.com/2013/05/n...s-authors.html dated May 2013 states that:

Quote:
An indie ebook author earns about $2.00 from the sale of a $2.99 book. That book, on average, will sell four times as many units as a book priced over $10.00. In order for a traditionally published author to earn $2.00 on an ebook sale, the book must be priced at $11.42 (if the publisher has agency terms, as Smashwords does) or $16.00 (if it's a wholesale publisher).
From this it appears that the author and I would both be better off if I bought the $2.99 self-published version.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote