View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #124
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Yeah, but you are obliged to compensate him. And his view of whether that compensation is adequate has to be taken into account. A system devise by Benjamin Franklin might not be the right model for compensation today. Lending libraries worked when books were physical objects. I'm not so sure they are good models for today.
Are you sure you meant that first part? I have no contractual obligations to compensate Mr. Deary. I have no legal duties to compensate Mr. Deary. The libraries in England apparently have some legal duties to compensate him and they are doing so. Whether or not he is happy with the legal requirements is utterly irrelevant to me. Especially since I don't live in England and can no longer frequent libraries.

I seem to recall that the movie studios initially hated the movie rental stores. However, they must have come to see them as being valuable sources of income. They started putting out ads for DVD releases urging people to buy or rent.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote