View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #51
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I picked #3: online forums, blogs, message boards. I follow a lot of SF/F bloggers through various media: blogs, podcasts, Twitter, etc. If they mention a book several times (even just name dropping it, not necessarily an all-out indepth review), I'll check it out myself. Perhaps it's not a surprise that I'm a book blogger too.

My second source probably would be through friends, but meat-life friends don't read as voraciously as the people I know online, so my recommendations from them tend to be older SF/F classics rather than new releases. In many cases, my friends just confirm that I should check out the classic books that these online SF/F personalities have already mentioned (I read 5 different posts discussing Gormenghast, it was mentioned on Twitter several times, and it's name-dropped weekly by a friend. Huge sign I should read it).

Unfortunately, trad publications are pretty dead to me. I respect a lot of genre trad media, but I see them as "a bigger blog" rather than an end-all-be-all source of authority. I subscribe to zero print media, they all just go straight to the recycling box anyway. I read a lot of media, but it's all online-based, and unless it has a strong online presence--I'm not aware of it.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote