View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Thank you for the responses, guys

I'm in the UK so it's getting a bit late now. I'd like your testing to happen whilst I'm awake and lucid in case questions arise. If you check this thread tomorrow (afternoon/evening GMT). I will have posted the plugin plus detailed instructions in post #1.

In answer to specific questions:

@emt,
Quote:
I assume that the files are Jpeg's?
Yes. As a Calibre cover is always called cover.jpg I see no reason to change the format... unless the testing throws up a problem...

@CraftyDan,
Quote:
From your description, I'm expecting your plug-in will re-size and copy selected covers into the images directory on the PRS -- does this work one at a time or with selected batches?
At the moment the plugin copies a single selected Calibre cover to a specific named JPG in the standard Sony image directory (/database/media/images/). No rocket science has been employed in the building of this plugin

Quote:
Also curious about your scaling -- for rescale, is it a "stretchy" operation or a trim? If you "retain aspect," does it scale to height, width or fit (smallest of height or width)? does the "retain aspect" add white or black bars or simply re-size?
If you customise to retain aspect ratio the cover will be copied as-is. As far as I can tell, my PRS650 then maximises the image to fit as best it can, without distortion. If you customise to 'don't retain aspect ratio' the cover will be resized (or distorted, depending on your point-of-view) to the exact screen-size you have specified in the customisation. Only the beta-testing will reveal how it actually behaves on your Sony. Personally, I prefer scaling to "exact fit", but some people have a strong dislike.

It's not a "trim" insofar as nothing is deleted by the plugin. I would describe it as "stretchy" but that would have a slightly different meaning depending on whether the source cover resolution is bigger or smaller than your Sony screen resolution. On my PRS650 with "retain aspect" the "filler bars" appear to be black. Given the shape of an average novel cover the "filler bars" are almost always left/right with the image expanded to completely fill the height. But the Sony seems to have this under control - the testing will reveal all.

As an aside, I also have a PocketBook360 reader and the same plugin will also work with this. The PB360 will "scale down" OK on it's own but it won't "scale up". So I have had to calculate new image size for this reader. What I'm trying to say is that if it becomes necessary/desirable to do the same for the Sony it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Will it also desaturate the photos?
I have not found it necessary (so far) to desaturate the cover when sending to the Sony. However, I do have to when sending to the PB360, so the code already exists.

Quote:
...re-assign the photos selected for standby?
I have searched the PRS650's database (media.xml) for a setting which indicates a particular image is "ticked" as a Standby image. The only reference file I can find regarding Standby images is standby_pic_mediaPath.xml. However, just because an image is listed in here it doesn't mean it is "ticked". As far as I can tell it just means it "has been ticked at some time previously". I have not tried to manipulate this automatically. Just as well as this is beyond my current capabilities At the moment, the first time you use the plugin, it will be necessary to "tick" the cover image as a Standby. Subsequent sends will overwrite the special named image and so it should remain "ticked" after you've updated it with the cover of your next book.

[Edit: I have just rechecked the "strikethrough point" above and I may have this wrong. Nevertheless, I do not want to mess with Sony's database at this stage, in case I do more harm than good.]

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-26-2011 at 08:11 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote