View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
woeger
woeger began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
Thanks for all the information about the legality of embedding fonts in EPUB files. For now, I think I will stick to not embedding fonts, but that may change in the future if I have specific fonts which are legal that I may want to include inside my EPUB files.

I am just happy to have found the EPUB format, and plan to make great use of it on my website.

As more free EPUB readers begin to emerge, and as widespread use of EPUB files takes off even more with the advent of Apple (iPads for now, iPhones and iPod Touches to follow this summer with the iPhone OS 4.0 update), then we will soon likely see iTunes software for the Mac and the PC being able to view EPUB files (to keep Apple caught up with the Kindle on just about every device mantra), and this will be good news for widespread access for even more "everyday users" to be exposed to EPUB files. And maybe, this will push Amazon to add native EPUB viewing to the Kindle devices and Kindle software on Macs, PCs, iPads, and iPod Touches, and iPhones also.

I know some people on this forum do not care for Apple's implementation of iBooks and the iPad, but Apple has historically helped to revolutionize digital delivery of music (with the iPod), movies and TV shows (with iTunes), and now eBooks (with the iPad, and the soon to be released iBooks software on their other platforms). This greater exposure to users should be a win-win situation for everyone who loves eBooks and the EPUB format. Also for a 1.0 version, iBooks seems to be OK, and will likely improve over time.

Last edited by woeger; 04-11-2010 at 12:20 PM.
woeger is offline   Reply With Quote