View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #48
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I've got Microsoft Security Essentials and the full scan takes three and a half hours. [...] Does anybody know if the Malwarebytes scans faster?
It's unlikely that one anti-virus program is going to perform a full scan much faster than any other.

The average computer has over 1 million files on the hard drive. During a full scan each file must be read from the disk and then analyzed to see if it's infected. Modern computers are so fast that the analysis is nearly instantaneous. It's the reading of the data from the disk that is slow. That bottleneck won't disappear when you switch anti-virus programs. All of your data must still be read from disk no matter which program does the full scan.

If the full scan is impacting your work day, you can configure it to happen automatically at a different time. Open Security Essentials, click on the Settings tab, then click on Scheduled Scan on the left side. You can then change the settings so that the scan is done in the middle of the night. If your computer is asleep, it will wake up at the configured time, perform the scan, then go back to sleep. See the screen shot that I've attached to this post.

I realize this is an answer to a question you didn't ask, but I thought I'd share it anyway in case it's useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSE Scheduled Scan Settings.png
Views:	192
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	103928  
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote