View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #146
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Yes. But only for DRM'd books purchased via Amazon from what I know and have observed. Because the Kindles are open enough to allow reading of non-Amazon acquired, non-DRM'd books which are in the correct supported formats, I simply do not consider this locked down. Rather, this is open enough for me.

I guess both viewpoints can be considered correct - its the old cup half-full/half-empty thing IMO.
In that case your definition of being being "locked in" is somewhat different from the way it is usually being used here.

You can not
- migrate the books you have bought at Amazon to some other reader without breaking the DRM and
- you can not buy DRM protected books at some other store and read them on your Kindle without breaking the DRM and converting the files first

That sounds pretty "looked in" to me.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote