View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #162
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
eInk certainly needs a lot of work still, but standard LCD screens (LED-lit or not) aren't the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we give this mythical Apple Tablet a rest?
Can we give the myth of e-ink displays being better for ereaders a rest?

LED backlit LCDs are excellent displays for reading and produce no flicker and thus none of the 'eyestrain' so frequently mentioned in this forum. LED backlit LCDs would produce less eyestrain than e-ink readers because they produce their own uniform, optimized (and adjustable) lighting level where e-ink readers rely on on uneven external lighting or force reading in sub-optimum lighting conditions.

LED backlit LCDs (like the iPod Touch, iPhone, Blackberry Storm, etc.) still do not have the battery endurance of an e-ink display and that should be the primary discriminator when evaluating which technology will meet a consumer's needs as an ereader. But of course saying anything less than 'e-ink is as precious as gold' is frowned upon in this forum, so no doubt my plea to let consumers make an informed decision will be flamed because it doesn't pay homage to the investment e-ink device owners demand.

All this said, I'm seriously looking at the Sony PRS-300 to supplement my iPod Touch, but I'm waiting until after the Apple news conference because depending on the configuration of the Apple tablet to be announced, I may choose it over a new laptop and PRS-300 purchase. Different consumers have different needs and desires. Evlauate the options based on facts, not myths, and more power to you when you find the devices that meet YOUR needs.

Last edited by pking36330; 01-06-2010 at 11:16 AM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote