View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #25
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
The vast majority of other readers work like this:
This is incorrect. The "vast majority of other readers" are ePub devices which use ADE to display books. ADE's page numbers are a count of 1024 characters in the compressed file, which typically means that the same page number is displayed for several screens on the reader.
Yes, Harry, you are right, as usual.

Now that I think about it, the Amazon implementation of page numbers (locations) might not as bad, if you had to put up with the "Adobe" page numbering system ;-)
Page numbers in epub books was one of reasons I avoided the default epub reading application on PocketBook (the one that implemented ADE)

Ever since I wrote my (not entirely correct) rant about page numbers I was thinking about my motivation to buy Kindle.

Besides the reasons I listed in my original post, one of reasons why I bought the Paperwhite was that I thought I would get used to the "kindle" way of presenting books. *SO* many people - including you Harry - are happy with the way Amazon displays the books on their newer e-ink devices. So I thought that I would just need to get used to that. I thought that after reading of couple of thousand "pages" on the device with the default settings I will settle down and will cease to be annoyed by the layout. It didn't work ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote