View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #106
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Not sure what to say to this. He bought it overseas legally, and, he went through legal channels to sell merchandise that, again, he had bought legally. He did not steal it. I can't see how this ruling WON'T be overturned.
The issue isn't how he bought it. The issue is whether or not it was legal for him to import it to the US, or rather, to export it from whatever country he bought it in, which does not have a first sale doctrine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
And, I don't see any mention of this ONLY applying to goods bought in countries that aren't part of the Berne convention. It says that the right of first sale ONLY applies to goods manufactured here in the US, and not "overseas." I didn't see any sort of specification of which overseas countries it did NOT apply to.
The article may say that, but the first sale doctrine is part of the Berne Convention. This would not be an issue if he'd bought the books in a country that has signed it (because he wouldn't have bought them there, as they would have been far more competitively priced). The article has a political axe to grind of its own.