View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #84
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Before you use the library argument you should realize that the Library does not just go down to a store and buy a book to put in the library as you seem to suppose. Libraries pay an extra fee and in some cases I believe they may actually pay based on use. They are very particular about new books although as the books age there is not nearly as much of an issue. No longer published, etc.

Dale
There are suppliers that specialize in the library market, like Ingram Library Services and libraries get books at a discount (I believe 40%, but it's been a while since I've checked.)

There have also been publishers like Gregg Press (which no longer exists) which specialized in the library market with additional sales to collectors.

And in some cases, publishers did hardcovers for library sales, and made money on the PB edition. A good example is the Doubleday SF line of the 50's and 60's. Doubleday published SF in hardcover for the library market, but their contract specified they got 50% of any PB sale, The library sales covered their direct costs. The PB sales contributed their profit.

Libraries in the UK remit fees based on checkouts, but I'm not aware of that being done in the US.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote