View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Before other options for buying books became available, book clubs may have made sense. There were draconian rules involved, like mailing back postcards if you did not want a book for the month. If you were lax like me, you would automatically be mailed books. Then, at some point, the book clubs switched to an active acknowledgment system. A member would have to order a book to receive it. What is the raison d'etre for such clubs today? I suppose if a reader is too busy to read the New York Times Book Review or New York Review of Books, then a book club would make sense. No use missing a good book due to life getting in the way. (Of course, the book club would have to be selective in its offerings). Ebook clubs are probably different from the P-book clubs. Given a choice, I prefer hard cover books over soft covers and ebooks. Unless an ebook is free or cheap, I don't feel it has intrinsic value. Understandably, it is a major convenience for the traveler, and offers advantages for those with sight problems. The instant gratification of downloading such a book might be a strong factor for others. Searching a book electronically is a major advantage for the researcher.

I just ordered $600 in hardcover books from Amazon. Free, but slow shipping. No regrets. I plan to keep the books for a long time, and pass them on to my children.

When I have time, I will look into book clubs again. Times have changed, and there are probably plenty of choices in format and price. But, I won't be using Oprah.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote