View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidarr View Post
Hey all! I've bought the Kobo Touch a few days ago and I'm loving it, so far with 100 books, having read some of them, the device is working great.

Now, something I noticed is that the search function gets annoyingly slow depending on how many books there are in the machine. So, is it worth it to buy a SD for the Kobo? If I put like 300 books, will the search function become even slower than what it already is? If the answer is yes, whats the ideal size of the SD?

They say you can put 30k books on it with 32GB SD but if the search gets slower and slower...

And btw, what is the ideal number of books one could have without having the apparel being painfully slow?

Thanks a lot!
I don't notice that much slowness with 2000 books on a uSD card compared to having 100 books in the main storage. I'm using a 16GB Sandisk card which was selected for having the best 4K block read/write speed of my collection of uSD cards.

The newer firmware does not store images for every epub which was an issue on the earlier firmware where the internal storage could fill up long before your SD card did. Now, a directory called koboExtStorage will be created on the uSD card to store dictionaries, images and kepubs when needed.

After finding that I was running out of storage on my older Kobos, I started keeping all my sideloaded books on the external card. This also makes it much easier if my Kobo ever gets damaged to simply swap the card into a new unit. It's also handy when I am playing with new firmware since I don't need to copy all the books back to the internal storage after a factory reset. Or when I purchased a Glo and moved the card from the Touch to the Glo before giving the Touch to my daughter.

I did find a small effect on the battery life using the uSD card but I haven't seen any effects on battery life due to the number of books on the card. I have heard of mal-formed books causing issues but my habit of running most epubs through Sigil to check the epub have allowed me to avoid those issues.

[Rant warning -- Next paragraph can be skipped]

One rather surprising (to me) issue is the number of times that I have purchased an epub and found the creators of the epub have simply used an automated tool to convert another format to epub and then not done their due diligence in cleaning up the code. Rather odd since there are tools that will let you check an epub for standards compliance. EpubCheck is likely the best of the available tools while the Flight Crew epub validator used by Sigil is not that far behind. When a site such as SmashWords has an automated procedure to inform you that a submitted book is not in conformance with the epub specification, having a commercial site failing to check their ebooks is risible. Would they publish a book without having it proofread?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-16-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added rant warning
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote