View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
OMG-I was reading this and was suddenly reminded of a conversation I had with a few people.I had recently purchased my PRS700BC,and another person was going on (and on and on) about a new netbook she had just ordered for herself.I mentioned the reader ,in passing,she inquired,so I told her what it was-even suggested she go to the site and look.And then she says to me,well why don't you just buy a book ! And that set off an entire conversation (that some others participated in,including one person who seems to hate anything that seems to indicate people have "frivolous hobbies")-and she suggested why not just borrow from a library.She then mentioned she participates in a book swap at work (except she does NOT put books in,so how exactly is that swapping).The woman who had just purchased a netbook,works from home,and said she was buying the netbook so she could keep up with things while she was away (not only does she work from home,but she rarely goes anywhere..AND has a blackberry..and again goes just about no where).

I love my reader,I love being able to borrow ebooks from the library as well-and NOT carrying three or four books at once.As for buying books in duplicate-there are some books I do suggest that friends read,but unless I already own a hard copy of it,I certainly would not buy both formats (as it is,I tend to do a cost analysis of books I want,since the ebook price is not always less than buying a hard copy,with all the retailer discounts that may or may not apply -ie b&n and borders discounts most frequently).

I do think the woman being interviewed did relatively well ,in light of the questions.

And couldn't you argue,anyone willing to make that kind of investment in a device,couldn't possibly hate books...*S* maybe they just need to lighten their load a bit from carrying multiple books all the time.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote