View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #33
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Definitely. The advantage they have is being able to select stock based on local demand. If the locals want vampire novels, they can stock the whole Anita Blake series, the Ann Rice set, and the Twilight books. If the locals don't care about vampire novels, they can skip all of those and stock extra military adventures instead.
There's *some* variation, sure - I remember when Wittgenstein's Vienna was the bestselling book one month in Bloomington.

But I don't believe that there's that much variation.

Nor do I believe that independent bookstore owners (or anyone, really) has enough knowledge to capitalize on whatever regional difference there might be.

There's a reason that B&N and Borders drove smaller bookstores out of business, and the reason is that they carried far more books.

And Amazon carries even more.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote