View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #69
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I knew they bought out ereader, However That is not the only format they SELL!

JJ
Fictionwise has been getting more into the client side as things go on. For a long time they did not have any reader of their own, and only sold books to be read on software from other companies. A few years ago there was some information about "Fictionwise Reader" software posted on their site, but I do not think it ever got past the beta stage. They also started selling ETI hardware rebadged as the eBookwise a while back.

This year they purchased eReader, which included responsibility to maintain and upgrade the existing eReader software, to expand an audience that could not be taken away from them on the whim of another company (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18990). They have made several changes, including making the Pro versions free, updating the outdated Symbian software (now in beta for recent Symbian devices), and have released the iPod Touch/iPhone software. If you were an eReader customer a year ago, such possibilities seemed very unlikely. Even less likely was the possibility of a Blackberry client, or seeing eReader on an eInk device, both of which seem to be in the works now.

Why would they pay another company, like Mobi, for the ability to use their SDK, to develop reader software so they could pay Mobi royalties? Except in those cases where Mobi is the exclusive DRM format (Cybook, et al.) the Mobi software is usually written by Mobi themselves. Since the software market for iPhone is looking much like the one for PDAs (meaning that there will be several readers and formats from which to choose), I would hope we get an iPhone version of MobiPocket, but I would expect Mobi to develop it.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote