View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #77
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The following of your comments are highly condescending:

1.)A reader is not a crude computer and has no aspirations to be one. It is meant as a reader and not a computer. Yes, multi function devices will come, but a reader never claims to be more than a reader -- even though some people always hope for that. I myself will buy a multi function tablet once the technology is "right" for reading.

2.)The screen technology is not primitive. It is a different, special technology suitable for reading. The most advanced LED/OLED screens with super high resolution and refresh rates cannot offer the same usability. You make it sound like it is a step back from LCD.

We basically have different opinions, no problem with that. But it seems to me that the vast majority of e-reader users are quite happy with their devices -- for regular reading. To display text in a manner that is easily readable, convenient book like form factor, long battery life, no heat. That is what they were designed for, not to make coffee. You are not satisfied, so it is time to get over it and prepare yourself to sit out the next 3 years until something comes along that fills your special needs. Why make it your life's mission to turn people off to e-readers? They are good enough for most people.

1. An ebook reader IS a computer even if you don't want to admit. It a very limited special purpose computer but it is still a computer. The same way that an Xbox is a computer.

2. The truth is that both of you have points about the screens. It does do the job you want it to do and does it very well. However it also true that the screen can't do what he wants it to do yet. Soon it probally will be able to.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote