View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
The comments to the article were more interesting than the article. Most responders were merely parroting their own opinions, not scientific fact. In my field, presentations are rarely ever printed, unless they appear in a journal. Most of the day-to-day results are shown in slides or word/pdf documents.
I guess fields differ. As a geneticist in a general cell biology lab, we print most results when discussing. Only presentations to larger audiences are given electronically.

Quote:
The idea of someone flipping back and forth between two pages in a printed report or book is ludicrous.
Personally I do it all the time, as do many colleges.

Quote:
One of many things I can do with an electronic copy is to cut and past equations or definitions. Try doing this with a paper copy!
Generally I find there is very little need to do that.

Quote:
On the computer you can also plop an algorithm into Matlab or Mathematica. This is the way real researchers work.
Hmmm, I guess I am not a real researcher then -- please don't let our funding agencies know.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote