View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #42
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I think that as editing and ebook formatting tools improve and technology marches on, publishing houses are going to become marginalized as there will be less and less room for the overhead of a middleman. My guess is that there are going to be a lot more freelance editors and compilers of ebooks. Sigil is not exactly there yet, but one can figure it out. With the right tools a decent editor could probably make some pretty decent money working from wherever they happen to be and in some cases provide a better service as many epubs today seem not to be that well edited, heck, some seem to not even be spell checked.

Frankly, I'd like to see a writer's association step out, set up a website and offer their member's books, but I imagine it's still early days and that published writer's for now are quite happy with advances and minimal risk...

My guess is that over time the model changes. Look at television(sorry, but really, there is more than "wrestling" on) for an example of a very changed landscape compared to the early individual company sponsored programming and later totally advertising based models. Television was "free" when I was a kid, of course there were commercials, today you pay for cable, satellite, as well as movie channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. without advertising -well, minimal advertising as product placement has been introduced directly into the movie content... but, there are a gazillion(hyperbole, bless you) channels and programs on today some of which are appealing to almost anyone that would never have existed under the network model. Imagine that same explosion with self publishing, we're seeing the beginnings now.

I think with self publishing more and more authors are going to drop the middleman, and many are getting works out there that we might never see until a publisher deems it worth the investment to gamble and lay out for an advance, editing, publishing, promotion, etc., or never otherwise see at all. I'd rather pay an author double or more what they'd get in terms of percentage from a publisher, if I didn't have to support the middleman and it would still be cheaper than paperbacks.

Last edited by TechniSol; 01-19-2013 at 03:20 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote