View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #11
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
Hello. I've searched for a solution to no avail. I have edit the book in microsoft word and created a Table of Contents and saved as epub. In Calibre, I convert to mobi and I get two TOC though the one autogenerated by Calibre is the one that gets linked to when I select Table of Contents from my kindle menu. Ok, I then uncheck the Do Not Add TOC to book or Force use of autogenerated TOC, and though it didn't produce one, I was unable to find a link to my TOC through the kindle menu.
What I want is, how can I link to a particular location in my document and make that location as the start of my TOC.
Like when using Mobipocket creator, I can simply add guide item and link to any location through a bookmark.
Thank you.
I don't know of any way to do what you want, medwatt, without doing some manual editing of the XML/XHTML files used to create the EPUB and MOBI files. I was hoping someone might come up with a suggestion that didn't involve that, but it looks like it isn't currently possible.

One possible route might be:
  1. Create a bookmark at the start of your inline TOC (could do that in Word before creating the EPUB version).
  2. Use Calibre's "tweak epub" facility to open up the EPUB and edit the OPF file (using a plain text editor), and add a Guide item of type "toc" to point to that bookmark. E.g.:
    Code:
    <guide>
    <reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="filename.html#bookmark"/>
    </guide>
  3. Save and reform the EPUB file.
  4. Convert to MOBI format.
I haven't tested this, so I don't know what issues it might throw up, but it might be worth trying.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote