View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
If you buy something, it's yours to decide of you lend it to someone or not. If you purchase a licence it's somewhat more complicated, but as Amazon, B&N etc. clearly have a "BUY" button there's no further terms to be attached.
I think this has been gone over at length in other threads, that when you "buy" a physical book you're buying the tangible thing, plus the right to use the content in a way that is constrained by contract, and statutory and common law.

I can "buy" a physical copy of the script of a play, but that doesn't give me the right to use it to stage a production. I can "buy" a physical book, but that doesn't give me the right to sell photocopies of it.

With an ebook, you're just "buying" the rights, with all the attendant constraints on your actions. (And this is one reason I didn't buy a Kindle!)
corona is offline   Reply With Quote