View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC333 View Post
I live in West Australia where the sunlight is also very bright. A couple of mornings ago I decided to try my e-ink reader out in the full sun. After only a few minutes the ink in the display began to fade to the point that it was getting patchy and hard to read. When I Googled the problem it's apparently quite common, and one person reported going through no less than 8 Kindles before they were satisfied! The reality seems to be that e-ink works well in good light, but direct strong sunlight can quite rapidly stuff the display up. It was not a hot morning (by local standards) but the temperature on a screen in direct sunlight can exceed the recommended operating range (The thermometer on the verandah was showing a mild 26C but when I laid it in the sun it went over 40C).

Out of the direct sun, the display soon returned to normal. So just out of interest I tried my iTouch and netbook computer in the same sunlight. To my surprise I was able to read both of them, but only by angling the screen, and it was certainly not comfortable. Sitting on the verandah (good light but no direct sun) they all worked fine.
If you have a Vizplex eink screen that fades in direct sunlight, then you have a defective screen and it needs to be replaced with one that does not fade in direct sunlight. LG made screens that have this issue and it's possible you've a reader using an LG made screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote