View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
@Moejoe:

In my experience so far, I've had a look at some self-published works that looked interesting. I've tried reading them and none of them turned out to interest me. Of the books I've seen, the writing wasn't horrible, but it wasn't really great either, and not enough to want me read the book. I would certainly hope to find an Antonia Byatt, a Robertson Davies, a David Lodge, a Hallgrimur Helgason, a Christopher Isherwood, a Reginald Hill, a Rose Tremain, a Sarah Waters - or perhaps 'just' entertaining storytellers like Gerald Durrell, Judith Merkle Riley, Anne MacCaffrey, Laurie R. King, or Diana Gabaldon.

I feel sorry for you if you feel personally snubbed. Unfortunately the 20-30 self-published books I've had personal experience with so far have not showed themselves to be worth spending all that time over - for me. The time spent looking for them have not paid off compared to for example visiting the library or going to a book store to find new authors.

It has been quite difficult for me to find self-published books (except for fan fiction where it's not the literary quality that draws me) I'd like to read and after 20-30 'disappointments' I'm not especially inclined to spend a lot of time looking for new authors, if I could just take a turn at the library instead, where I would (from experience) easily be able to find a book or three that would interest me.

Perhaps I've been unlucky in my choices of books, but your manner of berating and scolding someone who doesn't agree with you, is beside the point. Would you do that to someone who perhaps had interest in your books? (BTW, I had no idea you wrote books). Show me self-published books as good as from those authors I mentioned instead. Show me a reason to adjust my opinion. If I should trust you, they should be out there.

I know there's lots of professionally published crap out there - but I rarely notice it. I guess I've learned to navigate that field and steer clear of what I don't like to read. Plus, I've grown up in a country with such a small potential book market where there simply isn't room for much 'professional crap' - it's what we call 'concession stand literature' here and it isn't usually available at the library.

Don't bother answering this. I've unsubscribed this thread and I won't be back. I don't get the impression that you are able to discuss this subject in a calm, sensible manner, without resorting to personal attacks, and I don't want to be dragged further into it.
Agreed!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote