View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Of course, but I thought we were talking about the value of having metadata downloaded tags. I will only know to put "NZ" on a book if I have already read it or know enough about it.
Correct. If one book has an NZ tag, there's no guarantee that any other book has it. It's likely that there should be other books that have that tag, and I can't expect them to be tagged that way. Of course, that's just as true for tags I use - I don't always use them as consistently as I should. For me, it's the question of whether I'd rather have some books marked NZ, even if all are not so marked, or have none marked with that tag.

Quote:
Whereas the value of downloaded tags (to me) would be that it can tell me things about not only books I have read but more importantly books I haven't.
Exactly. If a book is tagged NZ, I've got some additional information of what it's about. Sure, I'd like all books to be tagged consistently with the NZ tag, but just because they all aren't tagged is no reason for me to throw away that data about the one that is tagged.

Quote:
It is like having a "Read" tag or custom column, but only populating it for some of the books. You can't then use it to exclude all books that you have "read" from some action. Over time you will work through your library and make sure that it is set correctly, but until you have done that it has no useful value for making decisions or searching. Multiple that by thousands of tags and as I say the OCD in me just can't cope
I understand. I'll never get the tags all consistently applied. When I think of them as tags, I feel the same OCD compulsion you do. To deal with that, I have to think of them as comments on the book, not tags, and I recognize that they reflect the person making those comments as much as the book itself.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote