View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #31
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
BN works on PRS 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks for that. I did learn (on the B&N forum) that someone was able to load a "Sony" (old drm) DRM epub onto their nook by authorizing the nook in the Adobe DE application/library. The reverse doesn't appear to work though, but I do not have a nook so it might still be possible if the nook were registered with Adobe DE -- I've asked that question there and await the answer.
I just synced my Sony 3.1 on my PC with my PRS 505. That BN sample book displays perfectly on my PRS 505.

Thus, I now know for sure that the BN ePub books will work with the Sony 3.1 software on a PC AND on a registered Sony eReader. Evidently, the books are DRM'ed to the PC - not the company which produces the ePub software or eReader devices.

One caution, when buying eBooks from BN, first download the sample and make absolutely sure it is ePub by looking in the directory where it is stored. Most BN books are still PDB - incompatible with Sony. The Sony Reader site does not allow sample downloads so we really cannot be sure if thsoe books are ePub or BBeB until after the download.

With this new discovery I'm going to simply buy books from the cheapest source, BN or Sony, after selecting the title to be read and using BN samples first.

My other books so far are BBeB from Sony and one Kindle Content book from Amazon. That ePub book from BN displays a lot better with much clearer fonts than the BBeB books from Sony.

To get the BN book to work, one must import them in the Sony 3.1 software to one's Sony library. Then sync works perfectly even though the original file is in the BN directory on the PC.

Keep this research going lads. We are all helping each other find out how to work with this new ePub format.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-14-2009 at 09:27 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote