View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #61
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Regarding the images vs. words debate, while authors often do create powerful images, the strength of writing over more visual media is to create a simulacrum of lived experience, and our experience is not solely visual, nor even solely sensory. Most books devote as many or more words to thoughts and/or dialogue than description and observable events. Just what are you "seeing" when a character is considering his or her relationship to someone else in the story and how it will impact a decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Long story short: I don't take any pleasure in purposely reading a book at a pace slower than I could comfortably be reading it at.
I hope I didn't come across in the OP as having planned out how I would read the book. Circumstances and interest in other media were the main factors--I just didn't have a lot of time when I was choosing to read fiction. I would mostly read while waiting for things, which did work out to short sessions with sometimes days between. What I found was that the book didn't suffer on account of the pauses, and in fact became a background element of my life during that time. I wouldn't say I avoided ending the book, but knowing the end was near did have a bittersweet quality. I had a similar experience (though owing more to the book's length) with Knut Hamsun's The Growth of the Soil.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote