View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 04:17 AM   #19
Seraphine
Nameless Being

I fully support the changes that GoodReads is going to be making to their site. I'm a lover of YA, and this particular genre sees a lot of unnecessary drama due to GoodReads not stepping in and calling a spade a spade; authors are not their works. If you don't like an author, that doesn't mean that a review of one of their books in which you simply trash the author is a worthwhile review. If we try to draw lines in the sand so that "this amount of author trashing is okay, but this amount isn't", we'll end up with something ridiculously staggered.

It's all or nothing. I support this choice; if you obey GoodReads' site terms (which you agreed to obey when you registered, whether or not you read them - ignorance is no excuse), you won't have reviews or shelves removed. If you want to trash Sammy McStrudle for the content of his being rather than the content of his novel, you do so on your own personal website - you don't go to GoodReads and write an absurd review. In the same vein, if I want to swear bloody murder, I do it in my own house, not my grandmother's.