View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Chopman
Chopman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Chapter Markers in Kindle

I’m finding Calibre really helpful for putting ebooks onto my Kindle 4, but (and I know I’m not the first) I can’t get the chapter markers at the bottom of the screen to work when I make my own ebooks. They are fine when I convert most ePubs downloaded from elsewhere.

I’m using Microsoft Word to create my ebook, using “Heading 1” style for my chapter numbers.

I save this as “Web Page, Filtered” to make a suitable file to read into Sigil.

When I open this with Sigil all the chapters are shown in the table of contents at the right of the screen. I then laboriously go through the document putting chapter breaks at the end of each chapter. Maybe there is a quick way to do this, but I haven’t found it yet. This divides the text into a number of .xhtml sections, all shown in the book browser at the left of the Sigil screen.

I update the metadata to show the author and title, and add a cover image.

In the book browser, toc.ncx is shown and I can open this and see a navPoint for each chapter. When I save the file as an ePub only the ePub file is generate, not an ncx file. I don’t know whether this resides within the ePub file, or whether this is a clue to the problem.

If I add the ePub into calibre and open it with the e-book viewer, when I click the “Table of Contents” button I see the list of chapters. However, when I send it to my Kindle I don’t get chapter markers at the bottom of the screen.

I have looked at the html code and a chapter starts as follows:
<body xml:lang="EN-GB" xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace">
<div class="WordSection1">
<h1 id="heading_id_6"><span class="sgc-14">Chapter</span> <span class="sgc-15">4</span></h1>

This doesn’t seem to be massively different to the example in the Chapter Detection Tutorial on this forum.

Could anyone give me an idea of what I need to do to make the chapter markers appear? Thanks in advance.
Chopman is offline   Reply With Quote