View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i thought it might be something like that. I tried to reproduce it but there's an ageing factor involved. simply trying open in editor save, ccleaner, view works fine. I guess waht has happen is this.

1. calibre runs/sleeps for several days without ever a full shut down.
2. ccleaner runs & applies it's logic to delect "safe-to-delete" + "temporary file" which is probably restricted to files that are > x days old.

so to reproduce it ( without messing with PC system date/time) I'd have to run calibre in tray for a week, then run ccleaner, then try to View something. Connecting an e-reader is probably not relevent if this diagnosis is correct.

if i remember I'll check this out next week.

but a couple of comments.
1. it's a scary & generic error message ( generic because I can google the error text & see it reported for other apps). scary, because 1st thought on seeing it is oh S***T I've accidentally deleted the book!

2. could calibre not trap it, realize it needs a new temp file & simply make one; or if that's not possible then put up a message saying calibre has encountered an error & needs to close, please restart it. { I hate seeing those in games but here, it's what's needed]

3. ccleaner has an exclude function. can I use that to prevent this error , but still have it clean up the calibre .tmp files that get moaned about it other threads ? what is the specific file / folder to exclude ?

Last edited by cybmole; 05-11-2011 at 08:46 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote