View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Bought a Canadian Arc on ebay. Indie bookstore question.

Situation: bought a 32Gb Kobo Arc on ebay from a Canadian seller. (The USD and CAD are very close to 1:1 right now) because my local indie bookstore will not be biting on becoming an Arc outlet. I'm a Glo and Touch owner.

2 questions:

1) Is there a way to tell if an Arc's pedigree is that it was sourced for a big-box store or an indie bookstore? While I don't plan to use the Arc to make any book purchases - I have a Glo bought from and linked to my local indie for that - if it ever comes to that because (heaven forbid) my Glo breaks, I don't want to switch allegiances. (The seller seems to specialize in tech and software stuff, not so much bookstore stuff. I don't want to ask too many questions and scare him off.)

2) Privacy. I just read a lengthy detailed review of the Arc and I see that Kobo has carried over their monstrous "Discover" engine technology and basically applied it to anything you do on the tablet - not just the books you've been reading like on their e-ink hardware, but now the videos and music you play, the websites you visit, the apps you install, etc. Reading how it works in practice, I have finally and officially donned my tinfoil hat.

Can it be stopped? Should I invest in a network traffic monitor/firewall?
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote