View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #42
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I hate being pedantic, but I think that semi-colon would be better replaced by a colon, as it indicates a list is on it's way.

"Hanging above them were two moons: one red, one blue."

I tend to use semi colons to indicate a pause half a beat longer than a comma. A full stop would end the sentence, therefore the arc of the thought; I think.
I find recent usage in trad published novels interesting on this point. I have frequently found a sentence which I would "conclude" with a colonbut which is instead ended with a period. In the list presented afterwards then each element is presented as its own complete thought. For example: She often thought about her wounded brethren. The happy horseman. The slogging groundsman. The terrified lout.

I've seen this done time and again in a popular series I recently read--and loved. So what ARE the rules today? How does an Indie Author cope? To wirte the above segment the way the author I read did would leave me, as an Indie Author, subject to grammatical derision in online reviews. What? Help! Am I to be banned a beautiful construction by being labeled an Indie Author?
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote