View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #19
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Right, but once I buy a paper edition, it's not likely to change. With ebooks, this is a real risk. Fixing typos may not be a big deal, but what if an author reworked a significant portion of their book and pushed it through as the same title instead of a new edition?
I don't know how other vendors do updates, but Amazon will only update your copy of a Kindle book if you specifically agree to it. Smashwords make every version of a book since the time you purchased it available to download.

If I'm reading the OP's concern correctly, his worry is that a malicious hacker could replace the copy of an ebook at Amazon/B&N/wherever with a doctored version. That seems to me to be a possibility, but not one worth losing sleep over.

I guess the instance of "kindle" being replaced with "nook" in a copy of War and Peace sold at B&N is something akin to the issue the OP is worried about (Huffington Post story)