View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 04:11 AM   #18
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It's the same thing with US English and UK English.
Erm, what? I'm sure the Americans and British can understand each other.

Like I said, smart software gives users options to provide them with superior service. Dumb and stupid software like the App Store doesn't give a damn about what the user needs, and just implements a crude pseudo-solution like the one in the App Store, disregarding common sense.

Nowadays, there is no problem for software to automatically figure out the language of a review. Just like Google gives you the option to return only English-language websites when performing a search, so could the App Store return reviews written only in those languages you'd like to see. But Apple don't give a damn, do they?

And that's only talking about reviews. When it comes to ratings, that's a matter of 1 to 5 stars -- never mind if the 1 star was given by a Chinese user or an American user.

The monumentally stupid current implementation presupposes that the entire world is monolingual. Thus it punishes users who took the trouble to learn a foreign language. I happen to be able to read in 6 languages and am learning a couple more, but Apple doesn't give a damn.

Further, it completely ignores cases like Austria vs. Germany. The language used in both countries is German, therefore there is no reason whatsoever to separate those countries geographically. Same for Australia vs. UK vs. US, etc. etc. Quebec users could benefit from French reviews (and vice versa), and so on, and so on.

Further, it also ignores countries like Russia and Ukraine. The languages in the two countries are so similar they are understandable for everyone in both countries.

It ignores cases like my own country, Slovakia, for 70 years part of former Czechoslovakia. The Slovak and Czech languages are so similar that we can talk to each other in our native languages any time -- no translation is ever necessary. Therefore, there is no reason on earth to withhold Czech reviews from Slovak users, and vice versa. By all means, make that an option, if that's what the user desires, but don't enforce an incredibly narrow-minded, clueless pseudo-solution down everyone's throats.

I could rant on and on about why the App Store arrangement is so monumentally stupid as it is, but I hope the above was enough.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote