View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #43
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am often surprised by the extent to which writers like to suggest that writing is only valid when it is done for its own sake... the unspoken assumption being that writing with the expectation of financial compensation at any level is only the goal of evil, greedy capitalist swine.

At the same time, they love to speak about how much the digital era is changing books and publishing for the better, but they assume that the financial opportunities of ebooks will not similarly evolve, but will only evaporate. This, despite the fact that we have evidence of ebooks and independent writers making a decent living off of their books (well, a few of them, anyway), and the fact that the Kindle Store isn't exactly losing money.

When I talk about making money off of my books, I'm not talking about yearly 5- or 6-figure salaries; I'm talking about supplementary income to add to my present salary... to better my life and my position in it. I don't think there's anything outrageous or insane about that. Yet the prevailing unspoken (and spoken) attitude seems to be that I am, in fact, quite clearly insane and probably irredeemably evil for thinking such a thing.

Even on this site. Some days, especially on this site.

I can understand the lack of confidence a new writer may have for trying something they've never done before. But as I said earlier, the lack of support from the public, and from other writers, to a good writer can be as poisonous to their desire to create as any personal uncertainty. And on a daily basis, I feel like I need fresh doses of anti-venom when I even talk about writing. Yes, even here.

Maybe people don't actually realize how insulting and degrading it is to state, repeatedly, that someone who is doing what they like but having trouble with it is therefore BAD and WRONG and should GIVE UP NOW. Maybe they are simply insensitive to the plights of absolute strangers, even those who share their passions. (On the web, I'd put good money on that one.) Maybe they seek to remove the weaker segments of the competition. I don't know which my be true, but those people should be aware that they aren't helping anything by kicking at those who could use help trying to accomplish a goal.

Last thing: I'd just like to state that money is not the root of all evil; people are.

(And yeah, I know I should never have posted this.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote