View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #1556
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Wizards and Electrical problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I didn't see your first post, and have just started book 3. I think this supposed effect that wizards have on electrical items is going to be hard for the writer to write around today. Such a person couldn't function at all in a city today. Heck, he couldn't even start his car because of the electric ignition (which has been around since before Dresden Files came into existence. If you are basically a moving EMF field, phones don't work, cars won't work, lighting wherever you go would stop.

It's kindof like the movies - yeah, you know they didn't think it through when writing it, but you just have to pass it off and move forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSouth View Post
Well, from what I gathered when reading them, Harry's field is not a guarantee, it's a variance of complex mechanical objects probability of proper function. I.E. it dramatically increases the likelihood that complex objects will malfunction, but doesn't guarantee it. Hence he drives a vintage VW Beetle with a incredibly simple engine, he uses revolvers instead of semi-automatics, etc. etc. It's not a walking EMP field, just highly increased likelihood. The more complex, the higher the probability. So less likely around indoor plumbing, more likely around a Crey supercomputer.

At least that is how I've always read it.
Butcher certainly did think this problem through very early on. Throughout the 14 novels and the assorted short stories I've read he has been very consistent and true to the concept. Harry's very aware of this and can even use the effect to his advantage as he can concentrate on a device and burn it out or avoid doing so by not getting too close and getting past the particular item quickly. Also the effect varies depending on the complexity of the item and the magical power of the individual practitioner causing the effect. Harry is also very aware of this aspect as it pertains to him personally.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote