Thread: eReader Survey
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #34
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
[LIST=1][*]I'd like a design which feels strong, particularly of the screen. Screens are too fragile in my opinion. I'd be content with a D-pad similar to the ones in consoles which allows not 4, but 8 directions: the 4 extra buttons could be used for different things instead of navigation. (

No, NO, NNNNOOOOO

Do NOT accept any type of these stupid D pads. I won't buy any reader that depends on a d pad for next page/previous page. I currently have a cybook gen3, and I won't buy anything like it again.

Instead, seriously, do what Xenophon says and buy one of the ebookwise units (I have an old Rocket which has the same ergonomics.) While the weight is a bit high, the shape is very comfortable to hold in any position I want. And, if you keep that shape, think about allowing it to be filled by a replaceable battery to back up the standard flat rechargeable ones. I should be able to change a couple of AA or AAA batteries, and keep reading instead of waiting hours for it to re-charge. Even if the standard battery lasts weeks, it is inevitable that it will run out in the middle of my book.

As long as you use one of the industry standard screens, and don't make the contrast any worse than current readers, the ergonomics of holding and using the device are critical. Comfortable shape, comfortable reach for buttons in any orientation, and fast switch or recharge of batteries.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote