View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Video game stores do make money on accessories, though, and I would expect the e-reader accessories to have much higher margins.
It's "widely" known that Kobo is allowing higher margins on the accessories. Well, I saw the official PDF of 2012 accessories: the now-famous magnetic case - one for mini, one for glo; a zippered neoprene case; and a Kobo-branded AC charger which will do the mini or glo. Eh.

Quote:
The real cash cow for video game stores is in used games, and bookstores do have the option of dealing in used books.
not if people stop buying new ones!

Quote:
Like I say, I don't expect this to be a huge money-maker for the independent bookstores.
Several are convinced that this deal is negative cash flow, period.

To justify the expense, support, etc., I think any bookstore owner has to think about using this to solve old problems: getting warm bodies through the door; using web presence to sell their dead-tree wares through mail-order - both titles that are and aren't digitized. And more problems that I don't have a clue about, not being in business for myself.

And that's if a bookstore is specialty, which has a chance of surviving.

And if that bookstore isn't... the writing's been on the wall for some time, and this isn't going keep the lights on.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote