View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Previously, I tested this using the SSH command on multiple kindles. My Touch has /usr/local copied from the diags partition. I know that the passwords on all my kindles (multple K3s, DX, DXG, multiple K4NT, and Touch) are all either mario or fionaXXX (3 hex digits), because I cracked them all using John the Ripper.

On the K4NT and Touch, when I SSH in I can type extra characters after the 8 character password. On K3 and earlier using the SSH hack, I cannot type extra characters.

This time I tried using the "login" command to test passwords in an SSH session on the Touch. I found that "login" from a command prompt does not accept extra characters, but SSH does.

I also tried changing my touch root password to "123456789". Now the login command requires the full 9 characters. SSH also required all 9 characters. Then I changed it to "12345678". The login command only worked with 8 characters, and SSH only works with 8 characters.

I also tried changing the password back to my original fionaXXX password, and it only worked as 8 characters. The shadow file does not match my original backup copy even with the same password. It is probably using a salt.

I then changed my root password to the 9 character computed fionaXXXX password, and only 9 characters works.

So, there is something special about default passwords, that allows extra characters to be appended to them. User created passwords are sensitive to length.

I copied my original shadow file back, and now I can type optional extra characters after fionaXXX.

Perhaps the different behavior has something to do with salted or unsalted password hashes, or it uses a different hash encryption type. Whatever the ORIGINAL uses only cares about the first 8 characters.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote