View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #66
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Would you be as concerned about DRM if more protection was built in for the purchaser?

Current laws are pretty one sided. If publishers were required to supply ebooks for one price in all currently used format or at least in open formats such as epub or pdf before licensing agreements were enforceable this could eliminate some of the concerns consuming many readers.
Another factor would be that once purchased a book should also be available to the licensee for life or the licensing agreement is null and void.

Basically I am saying it should be more than a one way street. I am not DRM paranoid, I think my epub books will endure till I die or at least long enough for me to read them but I would like to see a more level playing field.

Helen
This is a tough question. DRM doesn't concern me much as a reader. If I bought a book and wanted to access it badly enough, I'd find a way, drm or no drm. My guess is that I have more to worry about if I somehow couldn't get books I had legitimately bought off Amazon's servers for some reason.

If I had already read a book, I don't see myself converting it to ePUB (assuming I lost my reader or it failed, etc.) If I had NOT read a book that I paid for...I'd most likely just read it on my PC. If I were traveling and had a Nook or other ePUB reader, I'd probably convert it.

I don't generally buy such huge amounts of books "ahead" of actually reading them that I'd stand to lose a lot of books at any given failure point.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote