View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
If you're trying to make a PDF for POD, fuhgeddabout any type of automated process. You'll have to make the whole thing from the ground up, and make sure you use a layout program, not Word. Word does many things very, very well; PDF layout for print isn't one of them. Word has a bug/glitch/whatever that prevents it from actually printing to the correct size for a PDF (it will print the page to 8.5" x 11", not, say, 6" x 9"). Then you have to send the resulting PDF to someplace like CS which shrinks or enlarges or ? the resulting mess.

Hitch
I certainly agree that Word is not what you want to use to produce a "camera ready" pdf for a POD printer. If you're an apple person, use Quark. If you're a Windows person, (you have my sympathies - I am one also in this situation) use InDesign. If you're a linux / unix person, you're SOL basically, but you can try scribus-ng.

That said, though I don't use Word except under duress, I have been told that there is no problem producing, for example, a pdf scaled to 6"x9" screen size, if you set those dimensions in the word doc before you hit the "print to pdf" button. The user that tells me this has Adobe Acrobat (full version, not just the reader) installed, so YMMV.

However I do know from personal experience that LibreOffice, out-of-the-box install, will produce a pdf that is properly scaled to whatever dimensions you set for the page.

Depending on where you fit on Hitch's scale of needs, you may well be able to find a solution that doesn't require boatloads of money.

All the best,
Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote