View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre2opds and Custom Column support

The latest beta (rev245+) of Calibre2opds has added the option to display Calibre Custom Column details within the Book Details pages (implemented as a result of a number of requests for this feature). I am now trying to get a feel for whether this support should be extended to allow custom columns to be used to generate complete sub-catalogs.

To do so I would like to get some feedback on whether there is any demand for such a feature, and also how my thoughts on how it might be implemented mesh with what calibre2opds users think they might want.

My thoughts so far are:
  • Create new sub-catalogs where the name shown at the top level is the value taken from the Description field of the Custom Column definition (i.e. what is displayed as a column heading in the Calibre GUI)
  • Provide a catalog that is rather like the existing Tags sub-catalog. For this I would limit the support to custom column types that are either defined as ones that can contain a list of tags, or ones that contain a limited list of pre-determined values. This would provide the values to sub-divide the catalog section on.
  • Treat other types like comments, text, float, integer as errors if specified for this purpose.
  • I am undecided about custom series type fields. If done this would be treated in a similar way to the current Series sub-catalog implementation.
  • I had hoped to extend the support for the calibre2opds search syntax to allow custom columns to be used, but having had a quick look at this it does not look at all easy to do so will not look any further unless there is a real demand for this.
I will probably not go ahead with any implementation if there is no expressed demand for it as I have do not have a need for such facilities to support my own personal libraries.

Please feel free to express any ideas in this area.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote