View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Still I read news sites of all levels on and off all day long (literally). I am in grad school so there is a ton of reading there at the scholarly level. I do not think I have ever see these marks like you mentioned. So I have a hard time believing they are common at all.
Have I missed something? You're talking about your experience of graduate school as central to common practice in publishing and dismissing the style sheet of a widely read American magazine as irrelevant.

With all due respect,

(1) grad school can involve light or difficult reading depending on the subject, teachers and institution (this is not a criticism of your reading history or the standards of your grad school),
(2) whether your reading is light or heavy, that's still in relation to your own experience and therefore inductive,
(3) even if you were right and your own experience equaled common practice, a temporary consensus does not equal ultimate practicality, nor does it cancel out exactitude, and
(4) I asked a question to which I'd like an answer and you seem to be blocking my request.

I understand that you've never seen a diaeresis before. What I don't accept is the assumption that, because you haven't encountered it yourself, a given diacritical mark shouldn't be important to anyone else.

Had you asked me about something which you found meaningful, I'd have tried to respect your question.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-26-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote