View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #392
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
There are a lot of minor changes to the Aura that makes it different from the Glo.

Case

Glo: Have a rubbery plastic case with a quilted back. Kobo bright white logo is located at the button and back of the case.

Aura: The case is made out of smooth plastic. At first my initial impression of the case is of a cheap plastic tray. Now that had time with the Aura, I think the developers wanted to mimic more of a metal casing. The case reminds me of picture frame. The Aura does feel heavier than the Glo. With the grooves at the back, the Aura was designed to be held with two hands. Kobo faded white logo is located at the button and back of the case vertically.

Front Interface

Glo: Shows the 4 books that you recently opened.

Aura: The interface is based on a “living” tile concept. Not only does the Aura shows the 3 recently opened books, but new books added, shelves opened, a sync tile and activities done in extras. There is a busier and cluttered feeling to the interface as if the designers have all this room, but doesn’t know what to do with it. The downside is the front interface does not show recently opened books stored on the SD Card. I don’t know why, because even the Glo can show recently opened books located on the SD Card.

Sleep/Power off

Glo: Anytime you sleep and power off the Glo, you are greeted by a “smiley” face icon. This is very reminiscent of the Mac OS 9 interface.

Aura: No “smiley” face icon. Just the words “Sleeping” and “Powered off” show up. I guess the developers want to go with a more mature feeling with the Aura and cut out the cute icons.

Shelves

Glo: Covers are shown in a 3 x 2 grid. Navigational buttons are located at the button of the screen. No back button. There is a navigation drop down menu at the top of the screen.

Aura: Covers are shown in a 4 x 3 grid. There are no navigational buttons, but instead you have swipe left or right to go to the next screen. There is back button. Navigation drop down menu is located on the left top of the screen.

Any books stored on the SD Card are regenerated every time when the device is turned off/on. With a quick processor, the covers are generated very quickly. I don’t know this issue exist on the Aura because Glo 2.5 software solved this exact same issue.

Table of Contents

Glo: Navigational buttons are located at the button of the Table of Contents

Aura: There are no navigational buttons instead you have to select “Page x of X” at the top right of the page and then enter the page number you want to go to. This is cumbersome to do. Alternative is to swipe left or right at the button of the screen to turn the page.

Reading Settings: Both same reading settings except the Aura have the option to remove page number in the margins.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote