View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Their loss, not mine. The ribbon actually works much better once you get the hang of it. After a few weeks, I came to the conclusion it is a much better, organized way of working.
Enough though, this has nothing to do with the original question.
Hmmm, ditto. I actually still have 2003 on my computer (I don't remember why...but I do), but I use 2010 exclusively. The ribbon is very intuitive. I find that as I age, (cough), I have become less flexible about trying new things, and this is a failing. I forced myself to upgrade to 2010 about 2 years ago and have never looked back.

It's not dissimilar to when I forced myself to switch to Word--or at least learn to use it properly--from Wordperfect, which I'd sworn I'd never do, like an idiot. Like many people, I ranted about how I couldn't see the codes, how Word sucked, yadda, and flatly, I was wrong about it. Yes, I'd still love to be able to see all the tags, but I can see enough, and using Styles has freed me from a lot of crap. I struggled with it for ages...and then actually took a few hours, and went through 2-3 tutorials on the MS Website. Once I understood a few fundamental things--mostly to do with Styles--the rest was amazingly easy. Outline View, Styles, and the Document Map. After that, everything else is just frosting. Like anything else, it's about taking the time to learn it.

I've noted in my own business that we've become a society of people who expect everything to be instantly intuitive; that we don't have to learn anything to use (whatever). That's such codswallop, and I'm damned if I know where that mentality came from, but every time I've adopted that stance, I've been the poorer for it. We track who opens our instructions (at my company, for things like installing ADE, KPreviewer, etc.) and fewer than half our new customers EVER try to download or read the instructions for programs about which they know absolutely nothing. They ALL try to launch both ePUBs and MOBI files by double-clicking them, like Word, even though, in the email we send them, telling them to download the files, we expressly state, in GIGANTIC BOLD LETTERS, to install the viewing programs first. This whole "everything has to be intuitive at a glance" mindset just...gobsmacks me. I don't know if humans have always been like this, or if we've become lazier, or if Steve Jobs will have a lot to answer for in the afterlife, should such exist, but...damn.

The ribbon works beautifully. If someone doesn't want to spend money, sure, I get it, but if they're not upgrading just because the ribbon didn't instantly make sense...just take a quick tutorial. 2010 and up have a lot of very cool features, and Tox's macros are worth it, too. FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote