View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #434
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
OK, so I looked at the screensaver hack and recoiled in horror when I found that every time you switch books (in cover mode) it's copying the current cover to ${LINKSS_BASEDIR}/screensavers/bg_{medium,small}_xs00.png. This is not going to have a good impact on Flash life at all (I know, it's not so important these days, but I'm a systems programmer and that means I'm a professional paranoid; I even found myself worrying about what would happen if power went out during all those writes and had to remind myself the Kindle has a battery! but I really do care about Flash life on a device as important as my entire library).

A possibly-stupid suggestion off the top of my head for fixing this. At bin/linkss time, mount a tmpfs on $LINKSS_BASEDIR/ss-internal and bind-mount *that* over /usr/share/blanket/screensaver (rather than directly bind-mounting the screensavers dir as now), and when you have to switch a screensaver, drop an absolute symlink in the tmpfs pointing at the screensaver you want to use (/mnt/us/linkss/whatever).

Now the total number of Flash writes per in-cache book switch is *zero*. It would be faster too, since Flash writes are slow.

Am I missing some obvious reason why this wouldn't work?

Last edited by NullNix; 02-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote