View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #28
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
I don't think so. There are still plenty of people locked into iPods and iTunes because they're purchasing music from Apple and can't use their DRM protected stuff elsewhere. Plenty are trapped and don't know what options they might have.

It's similar with e-books and e-book readers. I have a friend who has a Kindle. I tried to give her a public domain copy of a classic novel that I'd converted to mobi for her. It all went well until she confessed not knowing how to even get this file I e-mailed her into her Kindle. THAT is the future of e-book reading. It's exactly what the retailers want.

In both the iTunes and e-book cases, there are ways around it, but they're obscure, inconvenient, and cumbersome enough that many people don't even know it's an option. Others that find out dismiss it as too much trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
That's true. Two friends of mine that use Kindle are just the same. They don't even know that you can connect your Kindle to your PC. They just use the Kindle store and the Amazon Cloud for Personal Documents.
As with any product there are 'users' and then there are 'better users' - and I guess that because we're members of MR we fit into the second category.

There'll always be people who don't really get across their device (no matter what it is), and then there are the rest who do.

As to the percentages in each category with respect to ebooks, who knows? But one thing to keep in mind is that ereaders are still 'new' ideas and that as they infiltrate generally into the community the word will definitely get around as to how to use them to suit the individual - and all that may entail.

Again, whether a person takes up that knowledge or not is up to them.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote